Spaying and neutering of pet small mammals greatly reduces the chances of reproductive diseases, unwanted behaviors, and unexpected pregnancies. The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine offers two programs for spaying and neutering of exotic mammals — VALUE and STANDARD.
For many people, the cost of preemptively neutering or spaying their exotic pets discourages them from having this important procedure. As part of our commitment to preventative medicine and to our community, we offer our VALUE spay and neuter service which is more affordable for many people. Once a month, our skilled surgeons will offer their services at a discounted rate with the hopes that we can make a difference in the lives of many animals who may otherwise not be able to have this important surgery. .
Spay + Neuter Program
- Offered once every month
- Exam with veterinarian is not required
- Drop off and pick up same day
- Educational handouts included at discharge
- Nurse discharge to answer any questions
- Pain medication is included to administer at home
- For younger animals only – see release form for species specific details
Our doctors have designed the "Value Program" with safety in mind, and that is why there is a Release Form that must be read and signed prior to these affordable surgeries. In it there are strict requirements for these pets. For example, there are age restrictions because young animals tend to have much less surgical complications and recover faster. If your pet is older than the restrictions indicate, he/she will not be eligible for the Value Spay and Neuter program for safety reasons.
Spay + Neuter Program
- Appointments available 7 days a week
- Full 30 minute examination time
- Consultation with the doctor
- Education about proper nutrition and husbandry of your pet(s)
- Overnight stay at the hospital including monitoring by a licensed veterinary technician, assistance feeding if needed, additional pain management, and a post-surgical exam the following morning.
- Surgical “safety-nets”, such as IV catheterization and endotracheal intubation.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
*Please note that our Standard Program pricing depends on species. Cost ranges from $400-$515. Price does not include potential surgical complications such as unexpected pregnancy or presence of disease.
The next Value Spay + Neuter Program will be March 24th, followed by April 21st
March is fully booked- we are accepting bookings for April onward for males, June onward for females.
Pet must fall within required age restrictions during month value procedure is occurring
All of the rabbits spayed or neutered at the Center will have a small tattoo near the incision site. This feature is recognized nationally as a sign that your pet has been sterilized and will ensure that in the event your pet is lost or re-homed, he/she will not go through a possible surgical procedure unnecessarily.